Thursday, June 18, 2009

Italia

Heather, Krisdeena, Prakalp, and I got on a train to Milan at 5pm on Friday. We arrived around 8, and then faced some drama with the room. Apparently, Prakalp ordered a triple room for four people, so we made him get a single room for himself. We talked forever before we finally got out on the town. Heather and I walked down the main street and found all the shops and beautiful buildings. Prakalp and Krisdeena decided to wait for the tram. We found the statue of Leonardo da Vinci, and then right behind it was this amazing square with all these fancy shops. We were walking around trying to find the statue of Leo's horse when we saw a horse statue and right behind it was the cathedral. It was huge, beautiful, and just illuminated by all the street lights. I took tons of pictures and just admired the city at night. We ended up waiting for the other two, but they never showed up, so we just went back to the hotel and found them there. I guess they were almost mugged, but I didn't experience any problems at all.

Saturday morning, we had a delicious breakfast at our four-star hotel (that only cost 100€ total) and then hopped the train for Venice! We arrived at 1pm, checked into our hotel and then had lunch at the restaurant right outside. Our hotel room looks right over the the Grande Canal. After that, we walked around and then took a gondola ride around the city! It cost 70€ total, but it was worth it because our driver was really good at turning corners...and he was adorable. We took pictures with him at the end, and I was a happy camper. Then we found a bank so I could get more cash--not a lot of places take credit cards in Venice, FYI. As were were walking back, we stumbled upon a store, and I ended up buying a cute dress for 13€. We headed back to the room to wait for Prakalp and Heather to meet us. They ended up going to Pisa early in the morning. I still haven't seen the pictures, but I did get one of those cool floaty pens. They arrived, then I took Heather down to the the ATM and that shop. We met over by the bus bay and then we split up once more to meet at the Rialto Bridge (the giant bridge connecting both main islands of Venice) for dinner. Again, Heather and I walked while Prakalp and Krisdeena took a water bus. We made it to the bridge in about 10 minutes through the windy alleyways they call streets.

We waited forty minutes before we decided to sit down and eat without them. Before that, we ran into a guy carrying a fake, life-size coffin on his back. It was his friend's bachelor party and he talked to us in a combination of French and English. He was hilarious. After he asked for our names, he asked for a kiss, so we both kissed him on the cheek. Now I've kissed an Italian guy! Ha ha! Afterward, we crossed over the bridge and had a delicious pasta dinner. I can no longer have American pizza or pasta ever again. It was that good. After a tasty dinner with a great view of the Canal (since we were literally 5 feet away from it) we headed back to the room, had more drama with the other two, and then went to bed.

Heather and I got up around 6am the next morning and quietly left the room to see the city. We first headed to the Jewish Ghetto--the first and oldest Ghetto ever. They had a Holocaust memorial for the Venetian Jews who were taken from the city. It was sobering and very heartbreaking. I almost started to cry, it was so sad. After walking and taking in the square, we headed the backway to the other side of the island to see the Bascilica St. Marco. We walked, again, down the winding, narrow streets of the city and when we got to the Bascilia, it just opened up to this huge courtyard. The Basilica was goregeous. We couldn't go inside because tours weren't untl 2:30 that day, and our train was supposed to leave at 1pm. But we walked around, saw the area where The Italian Job was filmed, and then headed back to the hotel to meet the other two. We took the water bus and rode down the entire Canal. It was amazing and such a great experience.

I already want to go back there. The people may not speak much English, but if you have a phrase book, you can survive. But really, all you need is a map and common sense, and you can have a fantastic time. I'm so glad I went to Italy this past weekend. The sights were incredible and now I can say I've been to one of the cities I've always wanted to visit.

This weekend: Paris. I can't wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment