Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tour de Weekend

I saw Le Tour de France. Live. In Nice. It was spectacular! The city was gorgeous and the water was amazing. I've never seen a rocky beach before. I now like it a lot better than sandy beaches. It may hurt the feet a bit, but it doesn't get everywhere. Win! Oh yeah, the Tour, I probably saw Lance Armstrong, but they were going by so quickly, I didn't know which one he was. Sprint sections go by so quickly! Were got there around 10am, the caravan started around 11:30, and the it went on until about 12:30. The bikes didn't even come through until 1:15pm...and it lasted about 5 minutes. All that preparation for the quick passage. But it was totally worth it. I now have a newfound appreciation for the Tour.

Nice in general is such a pretty city. And quite touristy! A lot of people spoke English--most of those English speakers were from England. But it was cool. I mean hot. It was an incredibly warm weekend! All of us were dying trying to find our hotel on Friday. Oh man... And once we got to our hotel, there was a dilemma: the owner thought we registered two rooms for four people total, not four people in each room. Since there was a misunderstanding, he let us all sleep in the rooms that night, but the second night five of us had to find another hotel. (And yes, the math is correct; we were going to sneak in an extra person since we forgot he was going.) So that first night, Brittany, Sarah, David, and I all crammed onto a double bed width-wise and had a very warm night. In the other room, there were two twin beds that fit two in each, and Greg on the floor.

Thankfully, the next morning, one of the employees had a flat closer to the water and she was willing to let the unlucky five stay with her. I wasn't one of those five; I just moved to the next room with Greg. And then we went out and walked around. Actually, I didn't because my feet swelled up pretty badly, so I had to rest them. After that, we went to the beach and enjoyed the water. Later, I grabbed David and Greg and we hiked up the mountain to reach this awesome fountain. It looked like it would have been a terrible hike, but it was actually really smooth. And the view! Wow.

It was such a great weekend, but I wish I had gone to Monaco. Then again, there were 80,000 people there on Saturday, so I'm kinda glad I didn't go... But then I made it safely back home with swollen feet and took Monday off to rest mes pauvres pieds (my poor feet). Today, though, I went to class and actually kinda regretted it. Our new teacher we're going to have for the rest of the time is an utter bore, and likes to over-explain. Seriously, she'll explain something, we'll understand, but then she'll break it down even further...kinda like what I just did right now. But I met a new person in my class! We got some new people in there, and I just started talking to the German kid because, well, it's freaking cool! And he speaks really good English. And he's going to go to my swing lesson tonight!

This is me not going to the extra class today because it's not really required and I'm having too much fun with Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment